A glaring example of this loosey goosey relation to the truth by the press was the Associated Press’ embarrassing report about what it claimed was a White House plan to mobilize 100,000 National Guardsmen to apprehend illegal immigrants. The problem with the report was that the memo detailing the plan was merely a draft that never even reached the Secretary of Homeland Security’s desk, much less the President’s:
“Spicer insisted that ‘It is not a White House document’ but didn’t deny it may have come from the DHS. He also conceded that ‘I don’t know what could potentially be out there’ but added that ‘I know that there is no effort to do what is potentially suggested.’
Trump’s spokesman did not say the idea hasn’t been considered. A White House aide confirmed to DailyMail.com Friday morning that the idea ‘has been discussed,’ but wouldn’t say whether a plan has been formalized or recommended to the president.
DailyMail.com’s White House source said the idea is to hasten the removal from the U.S. of ‘criminal aliens’ like those Trump railed against during one campaign stop after another last year.
An executive order the president has signed greatly expands that group and may include people whose only ‘crime’ was sneaking across the border.
Spicer tweeted before boarding Air Force One on Friday that the AP report ‘is not true. DHS also confirms it is 100% false.’ He was responding to an Associated Press tweet that said the draft memo ‘shows Trump considering mobilizing the National Guard.’
Department of Homeland Security spokesman David Lapan told DailyMail.com and other outlets on Friday: ‘It’s incorrect. The Department is not considering mobilizing the National Guard for immigration enforcement.’
Separately, a DHS official said: ‘The report referenced by the AP was a very early, pre-decisional draft that never made it to the secretary and was never seriously considered by the Department.'”
Source: The Daily Mail