Special Forces Forced to Abort Hostage Rescue as Obama Golfed

Back in August, a U.S. special forces team was ready to storm a terrorist hideout and liberate two prisoners who were being held by the militants for ransom. They were already in Afghanistan and ready to deploy when suddenly they received an order to abort the mission because the president didn't have “enough time” to look over the details of the mission and see if he approved of it. As the commandos later learned, he was too busy living the good life at Martha's Vineyard to concern himself with such a trivial matter as the rescue of Western hostages:

“Under the dim light of a quarter moon, a U.S. special operations team skimmed through the night skies above eastern Afghanistan, awaiting final mission approval from President Barrack Obama while speeding toward the objective. The commandos were fast on their way last month to rescue two western hostages held by hostile gunmen.

As the raiders approached their target — a makeshift prison compound — they suddenly were ordered to stand down. The president, who was vacationing on the island of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, did not have time to give the required final go-ahead. He wanted 24 hours to consider the rescue.

A day later, Obama approved the mission. The commandos relaunched. This time, they reached the target — only to find the hostages had been moved four hours prior, said sources with direct knowledge of events.

‘We raised hell in that compound,' said a security staffer with knowledge of the mission. ‘We knocked down walls and killed bad guys.'

Seven hostile combatants were killed and one injured, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed to American Media Institute. Among its many duties, CENTCOM is the Pentagon's Unified Combatant Command in charge of operations in Afghanistan.

‘No civilians were killed or harmed,' said Col. John J. Thomas, the CENTCOM director of public affairs. ‘No U.S. forces were killed or hurt.'

The missions took place Aug. 10 and 11, in Afghanistan, Thomas confirmed. He did not address operational details of the rescue missions; but AMI spoke to sources who provided details, some of which CENTCOM confirmed.

The sources are security officials who are privy to the kidnaps and the attempted rescues. They do not work together and are affiliated with different agencies. The sources are not authorized to talk to the press, and spoke to AMI on condition of anonymity.

‘We had the hostages within reach,' said a source who met face to face with this reporter at a remote dockside setting in the United States to discuss the incident. The source insisted that the meeting be held outdoors and without access to electronic devices.

‘The first time we went in, we had to stand down,' the source said. ‘The second time, the hostages were gone. Our special operations team went all that way for nothing.'

The special operators aimed to recover two civilians — American Kevin King and Australian Timothy Weeks — who were kidnapped Aug. 7, in Afghanistan. The kidnapped men are English teachers at the American University in Kabul.

‘We are aware of reports of a U.S. citizen kidnapped in Kabul,' a State Department official said. ‘Due to privacy considerations, we are unable to comment further.'

‘The Australian Embassy in Afghanistan has confirmed the kidnapping of an Australian in Kabul, Afghanistan,' said a spokesperson for Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. ‘We continue to advise Australians not to travel to Afghanistan because of the extremely dangerous security situation, including the serious threat of kidnapping. Due to privacy and security considerations we will not be commenting further.'

King and Weeks reportedly were snatched off the street around 8 p.m. Kabul time on a Sunday. Four assailants wearing what appeared to be official uniforms smashed a window to the teachers' vehicle and pulled them from their car at gunpoint. A driver and a guard, both inside the vehicle during the incident on Dar-ul-Aman Road, were not captured, and were later questioned by police.

The kidnappings unfolded in Afghanistan shortly after President Obama and his family began an extended seaside vacation in Massachusetts.

Some 90 minutes after Weeks and King were captured, the president arrived at the Farm Neck Golf Club on Martha's Vineyard, according to White House press pool reports. As the hostages were spirited away by their abductors and authorities in Afghanistan scrambled to find them, Obama teed off at the semi-private course that bills itself as offering ‘an idyllic setting' for golf. The president’s golf partners were Chris Paul, Cy Walker and Joe Paulsen, according to pool reports.”

Source: AMI News Wire



Leave a Reply

Pin It on Pinterest