Yes, the applications for veteran’s health care go back nearly two decades, and officials said some applicants may have died years ago. More than half the applications listed as pending as of last year do not have application dates, and investigators “could not reliably determine how many records were associated with actual applications for enrollment” in VA health care, the inspector general report said.
But wait, there’s more! VA workers marked thousands of completely unprocessed health-care applications as “completed” and probably deleted 10,000 or more electronic “transactions” over the past five years.
Linda Halliday, the VA’s acting inspector general, said the agency’s Health Eligibility Center “has not effectively managed its business processes to ensure the consistent creation and maintenance of essential data” and recommended a multi-year plan to improve accuracy and usefulness of agency records.
Sounds like a repeat of what they do right now.
Halliday’s report came in response to a whistleblower who said more than 200,000 veterans with pending applications for VA health care were likely deceased.
The inspector general’s report verified the claim and many others, but said there was no way to tell for sure when or why the person died, as if that is an excuse.
VA spokeswoman Walinda West said Wednesday the agency has publicly acknowledged that its enrollment process is confusing and that the enrollment system, data integrity and quality “are in need of significant improvement.” Duh!
Sounds like the future of Obamacare for all of us, doesn’t it?