North Korea isn’t backing down now that a new American administration is in town. The Trump White House may be more willing to act than Obama’s, but North Korea is still threatening nuclear war against the United States.
North Korean state media on Tuesday warned of a nuclear attack on the United States at any sign of U.S. aggression as a U.S. Navy strike group steamed towards the western Pacific.
U.S. President Donald Trump, who has urged China to do more to rein in its impoverished neighbour, said in a Tweet North Korea was “looking for trouble” and the United States would “solve the problem” with or without China’s help.
Tension has escalated sharply on the Korean peninsula with talk of military action by the United States gaining traction following its strikes last week against Syria and amid concerns the reclusive North may soon conduct a sixth nuclear test.
North Korea’s official Rodong Sinmun newspaper said the country was prepared to respond to any aggression by the United States.
“Our revolutionary strong army is keenly watching every move by enemy elements with our nuclear sight focused on the U.S. invasionary bases not only in South Korea and the Pacific operation theatre but also in the U.S. mainland,” it said.
Whether this ends up being just another empty threat from Kim Jong-un remains to be seen. Despite his erratic behavior and violent tendencies at home, Kim has remained mostly rational on the international stage. He may have a powerful military, but no one is going to come to their aid if they strike the United States. But it will almost assuredly destroy North Korea.