Poor Michael Moore. The election of Donald Trump has almost pushed him over the edge. No doubt he has a lot of company in that situation. He sees his world as falling to pieces during a Donald Trump presidency and has chosen Facebook as his platform for launching a preventative strike on what he sees as the dangers to the Republic from the Trump administration.
It’s more of his own personal wish-list than it is a catalog of programs that are likely to go anywhere. But at least he can salve his wounds by stirring up some supporters. Here we go with Mr. Moore’s “to-do list” of seven projects he plans to accomplish:
1. Must quickly and decisively form an opposition movement, the likes of which hasn’t been seen since the 1960s. I will do my part to help lead this as I’m sure many others (Bernie, Elizabeth Warren, MoveOn, the hip-hop community, DFA, etc.) will, too.
Are you sure Mrs. Warren is going to want to join you in your jihad against the DNC leadership? Don’t be so sure.
2. Prepare to impeach Trump. Just as the Republicans were already planning to do with President Hillary from Day One, we must organize the apparatus that will bring charges against him when he violates his oath and breaks the law — and then we must remove him from office.
Good luck with that one, Michael. What he might not realize is that he has just said that Trump has not committed any impeachable offenses. We would suggest that his comparison of Trump with Hillary is invalid since she already has committed all sorts of offenses — impeachable, criminal, etc.
3. Must commit right now to a vigorous fight (including civil disobedience, if necessary) which will block any and all Donald Trump Supreme Court nominees who do not meet our approval.
Not sure what he has in mind for civil disobedience. He probably doesn’t either. It just sounds cool.
4. Demand the DNC apologize to Bernie Sanders for trying to fix the primaries against him, for spinning the press to ignore his historic campaign, for giving Clinton the questions in advance at the Flint debate, for its latent ageism and anti-Semism in trying to turn voters against him because of his age or religious beliefs, and for its anti-democracy system of “superdelegates” who are elected by no one.
Uh, oh. It appears he doesn’t like Hillary. Now he’s gone and done it. The Clintons are not leaving the Democratic Party to loons like you, Michael. What you don’t realize is that you don’t call the shots, you’re just a convenient tool. And taking a swipe at the Clintons, and at the DNC for rigging the primaries against Bernie and helping Hillary cheat at the debates is going to make you some powerful enemies in the Democratic Party. You expect the superdelegates to give up power? Dream on.
5. Demand that President Obama establish a Special Prosecutor to investigate who and what was behind FBI Director James Comey’s illegal interference into the Presidential election 11 days before the vote was held.
Umm, Michael, that would all be “redacted” just like so much of Hillary’s pile of emails were. Plus, the Clintons might not like what would be made public from such an investigation. Another non-starter, at least. Michael, you must stop taking verbal pot-shots at the Clintons. We get that you resent them.
6. Begin a national push while it’s fresh in everyone’s mind for a constitutional amendment to fix our broken electoral system.
He hates the electoral college. Except he would have liked it had Bernie run and won.
7. Convince President Obama to immediately do what he should have done a year ago: Send in the Army Corps of Engineers to Flint to dig up and replace all the poisoned pipes. NOTHING HAS CHANGED; the water in Flint is still unusable.
Sounds like a local problem, although we’re all for safe water. And if he wants to criticize Mr. Obama, who are we to stop him? But, if you can’t get the water pipes fixed, Michael, what make you think you can change things that are national issues?