Don't expect London mayor Sadiq Khan to roll out the red carpet for Trump when he visits the UK next year. Khan is still upset over Trump's temporary travel ban, despite numerous terrorist attacks from those countries and across Great Britain.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has reiterated his opposition to US President Donald Trump being afforded an elaborate state visit when he comes to the UK next year.
“State visits are different from a normal visit and at a time when the President of the USA has policies that many in our country disagree with, I am not sure it is appropriate for our government to roll out the red carpet,” Khan told CNN in an interview Monday.
Last week, the White House confirmed that Trump's state visit to the United Kingdom has been delayed until 2018.
The delay comes amid concern that there will be mass protests against Trump in the British capital.
Trump met with UK Prime Minister Theresa May at the G20 summit in Hamburg and told reporters he would be visiting London.
May's offer of a state visit, which typically includes a banquet with the Queen, was made during her visit to Washington in January, just days after Trump's inauguration.
Khan, the first Muslim mayor of a western capital city, did not, however, rule out meeting with the US President, if offered the chance.
Of course, he didn't rule out visiting the president. Like it or not, Trump is the most powerful man in the world. If Khan wants to get something done, even on the other side of the world, he may need Trump's help.
But considering his critical past, it's unclear whether Trump would take the meeting.