Trump to Restore Sanity to Healthcare System
Obamacare is causing runaway costs, though America was promised savings of $2,500 per family. Premiums have risen dramatically, and so have deductibles, making many healthcare plans almost worthless for anything but catastrophic accident or illness.
Physicians are retiring at unprecedented numbers, and there is less competition and fewer choices for purchasers. Trump promises that by introducing free market principles and creating sound public policy, healthcare access will increase, will be more affordable, and quality will improve. While that promise may overstate the benefits, there are millions who have been damaged by Obamacare who are willing to give it a try.
Here are the steps Trump says elected officials must take to put a positive and effective plan into place.
- Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.
- Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.
- Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.
- Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.
- Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.
- Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.
- Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.
All of these steps should have been taken before the radical and ill-conceived Obamacare plan was put into place. Obamacare was simply the pipe dream of liberals for the last 50 years who are determined to force government control on the economy and free enterprise as possible.
It is also easy to see that providing illegal aliens with health care to the tune of $11 billion dollars a year is not only costly, but it creates a dependent class that Democrats hope to turn into reliable party voters once amnesty is passed. Trump is determined to send them home, which will eliminate this very costly burden. Of course that also means that the left will obstruct this new plan, no matter how extensive the benefits to the country and the citizens of the United States.
Donald Trump has his work cut out for him should he win the presidency this coming fall. But if he can replace the failed Obamacare program with one that actually benefits the people, he truly will have something to crow about, something that could start a national turnaround and begin to undo the damage the Obama presidency has left us with.